Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Scarlet Witch Cosplay (all parts)

Up first is the Scarlet Witch cosplay (AoU version). I originally wanted to be some version of Captain America because he's my favorite superhero, but Wanda is pretty cool too. My friend coincidentally is dressing as Quick Silver also, so that works out perfectly.


I first started with the necklaces. Wanda wears two necklaces, both of which look like washers and beads. Easy peasy!


I found some colorless beads in my stash of crafty things and painted one with red nail polish and the other with green acrylic craft paint. I finished both off with a layer of clear polish and stuck them on toothpicks stuck in styrofoam to dry.

I then took an earring hook and straightened it out to create a loop at the top of each bead. The bottom was secured with a dab of hot glue painted to match the bead.

To make the leather chain necklace (the longer one), I took some blue suede cord from my craft stash and tied them to jump rings on the end of each side of the chain. I then looped the suede through the hole of a large washer.

Using earring hooks as giant jumprings, I attached a smaller washer to the cord. I also attached the green bead. For the red necklace, I made another jumpring from the earring hook and attached it to a chain with the red bead. Here's the final product:


Next up on the list was Wanda's dress. Her dress has mini polka dots on it, a bit of a blue pattern underneath, lace applique on the shoulders, buttons, and it flares. Since I have no sewing experience, I decided to alter a simple black dress instead. It was a lot harder than I thought to find such a simple dress but I ended up buying one at Ross for $10. 

(ignore the bit of tape on the dress)

Wanda has one brown button on the top of the dress and smaller black ones (hidden) down the rest of it. I picked up some buttons at Hobby Lobby for pretty cheap and sewed them along the dress. 

Wanda also has a bit of red lace peeking through her dress. I picked up this red lace cami at Forever 21 for about $4. It works perfectly!


 I already have a red leather jacket, so no work was required for that. Now we move on the the gloves/arm bands.

I found a shiny, black fabric (used for dance outfits) at Hobby Lobby and bought 1/2 a yard. I also picked up some gold zippers.
A friend of mine (Hi, Mary!) sewed one side of the zipper to the fabric for me on her sewing machine. The rest I did by hand. I created a rectangle and attached one side to the other side of the zipper. I then made it the length I wanted and finally sewed the two rectangles together.




One is slightly longer than the other, but no one should notice once they're on.

Wanda wears these cool, hole-y knee high socks.
My mom had plenty of these kind of socks (they're semi-sheer) so she gave me a pair to cut into. I put the socks on and (carefully!) with one blade of a pair of scissors, started to run the tip over a raised part of the sock (I lifted it from my leg). This created the holes. If you pull on the hole, it creates runs in the socks as well. There are a lot of YouTube tutorials on how to make "goth" tights or ripped tights, if you need help.


And lastly are her rings and bracelets! Wanda has a LOT of rings, so I went to Charming Charlie and got some on sale. I picked out some red, black, and gold bracelets from my jewelry box as well. As for her cool, red, magic, glow-y stuff, I bought red glitter tulle which I plan on attaching to hair ties/rubber bands.

The final Cosplay picture will be posted soon! 

Total cosplay cost (not including tax): $34.34

No comments:

Post a Comment