Friday, June 10, 2016

Wizard World NOLA Part 2: "Ugh! Fitz!" FitzSimmons Cosplay

My sister and I were originally going to repeat a cosplay from SDCC but then we realized that for our picture with Chris and Hayley, we didn't want to be in costume. I had suggested a FitzSimmons cosplay a long time ago, but could never get my sister on board. However, because we already had all the pieces and we were able to wear jeans, she agreed to it.

If you don't know who FitzSimmons is, they are a super genius combo of best friends who were already given a ship name in the pilot episode of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Jemma Simmons in in biochem and has an adorable English accent, while Scottish Leopold Fitz is engineering and has a slight obsession with monkeys in season 1. If you haven't seen AOS, do yourself a favor and binge watch season 1, it's worth it!

FitzSimmons in Season 1 (Image from shieldwardrobes.tumblr.com)


Lab Coats:
We both already had white lab coats from high school and decided just to print out a patch for it. However, it was strangely difficult to find an image that was as simple as the SHIELD insignia on their coats. I finally found one on Google and had to edit it in MS Paint to get the colors right.

I printed it on paper, decided it was a good size to cover our monogrammed names as well as be proportionate to FitzSimmons' logo and cut it out. However, something about the printed image looked so fake on the jacket. I decided I should print it on fabric but didn't have any scraps. Usually I buy just a $1 bandana at Hobby Lobby if I need a little fabric but I knew it wouldn't be thick enough to cover the monogram. There was also the issue of how we would attach it. Our coats were good quality and we didn't want to sew on the patch. So I decided to go with adhesive felt. It's thicker, has a sticker on the back, and is cheap. I just wasn't sure if I could print on it.

I cut the felt down to 8.5x11 so it would fit in my printer. Double-checking that I still liked the size of the paper copy, I pasted the image onto a Word Document so I could place 2 logos on the doc to save material. I crossed my fingers and hit print.

You guys....YOU GUYS!  Printing on felt is the best thing since sliced bread. The adhesive version is a tighter weave so it went through the printer perfectly. The image came out clear on the material, and the colors were only a few shades lighter than the paper version. I waited a few hours for the ink to dry and then cut out the logos. I then adhered them to the jackets and it looked perfect! Add some lab googles we had from organic chem lab and the lab gear was set.

I was able to fit both logos onto one piece of felt

Paper version on the left compared to the felt version on the right

The patch fit perfectly over my monogrammed name

Simmons:
My sister dressed as Simmons and it was appropriate that we finally went to a con in the winter time (leather + July + San Diego do not mix). Jemma is seen wearing a lot of collared shirts and sweaters in season one. 

 
Agent Jemma Simmons in Season 1 (Image from marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com)




 
Unfortunately, we had a hard time finding a sweater and collar combo that matched. A lot of collars were patterned or a lot of sweaters were patterned but nothing felt quite right. Luckily our mom has a ton of sweaters and we found one that matched the most Jemma-y collar we had.

My sister topped the cosplay off with some test tubes she carried in her pockets, her Secret Warriors pin from SDCC, jeans and ankle boots (more seen in Season 2). 

My sister as Jemma Simmons

Fitz:
I was dressed as Fitz since I already owned a lot of his pieces. I already knew I would wear my plaid shirt with a navy cardigan on top with jeans, Converses, and my monkey. Fitz is known for wearing patterned shirts with patterned ties and sweaters.


Agent Leo Fitz in Season 1 (Image from tvovermind.com)
We named the monkey Pesto
The only problem was finding a tie. I was under the impression that Fitz wore skinny ties and my dad is not a skinny tie kinda guy. I went to Goodwill and found nothing, not even good patterned ties to covert to skinny ties. I looked though my dad's closet again and found a navy tie with little patterns on them. I tried it on with the outfit and you couldn't even see the fatter part of the tie because of the cardigan. Add a Secret Warriors and Cap pin and I was ready to go.

The Case:
We were so relieved that we were going to have pockets with this cosplay! SDCC gives us major back pain from carrying around a giant backpack. However, we had to pack some PB&J sandwiches, snack bars, makeup up for touch ups, 2 shirts for our photo, and money/gum/etc. (I'll be posting a "What's in my con bag" soon!). In AoS, FitzSimmons has these tiny drone robots they all the retrievers that are named after the seven dwarves. They carry them around in a large briefcase and we thought it would be a nice touch to carry something similar.

We got a large poker case from our cabinet and emptied out the chips, die, and cards. The inserts didn't come out, but if you were not concerned about poker, you could probably cut it out. It was able to fit all our stuff (our shirts were made of a thin material). We put the original paper print logo on the front of it and voila! It was nice to have a hands-free cosplay for a change.


We had one person really recognize us as FitzSimmons and one other compliment our cosplays. My secret goal is for people to stop me in a convention center and have lots of people photograph my cosplay, haha. 
But it was a smaller con and we really loved these cosplays!



Part 3 (Meeting Chris and Hayley!!!) of 3 will be posted later today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment