Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Arsenal Cosplay: Shopping

As a (kinda) beginner cosplayer, I spend a lot of time thinking of foundations and how to alter them to fit my needs. This time around is no different. I'm not a good enough sewer to make my own fitted jacket and pants, and I definitely cannot make my own shoes, so shopping for the closest thing is what we'll have to do!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/108790147227733576/
Click to Pin!
I think Roy's signature piece is his laced up, red hoodie jacket. Unfortunately, these are only sold by cosplay sites for about $200-$300. I knew early on that I would have to lace my own jacket. The problem was actually finding one.

I wasn't willing to spend more than $30 on a leather jacket. I probably looked at 50 jackets before narrowing it down to a few. It was hard to find one in the price range I wanted that had a hood, was a darker red color, and that wasn't cropped.


I finally found this jacket on Amazon for about $30 including shipping. I ordered a size medium and it's a good length on the sleeves and torso. It's not too tight and has enough room to move around in. The color is perfect, good length, and the hood is also made out of leather (many weren't). That was the most important thing for me when picking a jacket. There are a few drawbacks though. The cotton-scrunchy thing at the bottom rides up a little bit and isn't leather. The zipper pockets are convenient but will get in the way of when I alter it later. The entire interior is leopard (an easy fix). 
Next up are the pants. Roy's pants look like motorcyclist pants because of the ridges on the back and the knees. Makes sense since he is running around so much. His pants also have red piping along the sides of the legs and crotch area. I knew I wanted the ridges and had seen something similar at Macy's. I found some liquid leggings with details on the knees on Amazon for $10 and free shipping. The best part? They have front AND back pockets!!! They're a little long, but that's because I'm super short. Anyway, I decided not to add the red piping to these because I would like to wear them again for non-con events. 
Moving onto the shoes. The shoes were surprisingly hard to find online. They sneakers resemble high top basketball sneakers. They have a red tongue and rubber sole and are black everywhere else, and have a patent leather toe. I was at Marshall's with my mom and found some men's Levi's sneakers that were almost perfect (some quick paint would fix the white soles). However, again, I'm a small person, which means small feet. We checked another Marshall's in the clearance kids' section and found these sneakers for $13 in a size 4. They're red, navy, and white, but the navy looks black. The shoes are by a brand called Osiris and usually run for about $60 a pair for adult shoes. They have a lot of variety that look similar to Roy's shoes, so if you can't find any in stores, check out their site.

Lastly, the gloves. Roy wears black leather gloves, but because we will be in San Diego in July and need our hands for things like taking photos, eating, etc. we opted to get fingerless gloves. Marshall's has a big variety of workout gloves. Mine were unfortunately on the more expensive side ($9.99) than my sister's, so I may try to take them back and get a new pair for cheaper. They are just basic black workout gloves from Nike.

Now that the main pieces are out of the way, it's time to move on to the little things, which always take the longest time. My next post will be on how I altered the shoes to look like Roy's and after that will be the quiver!

Total cosplay cost so far: $64.67 :o




No comments:

Post a Comment